Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hendersonville's Top 5 Non Franchised Restaurants!


Before I declare the top non-franchise restaurants in Hendersonville, TN, I should probably include disclaimers.

Disclaimer #1: I am not a professional food or restaurant critic. My only qualifications are that I enjoy a good meal and I have 63 years of eating experience.

Disclaimer #2: I don't even eat out that much. My dining habits are much like the Italians. I visit the grocery store everyday and cook fresh and simply at home. Most eating out occurs at the lunch time meal.

Disclaimer #3: When I go out to eat it is usually to get a meal that I would not cook at home. At home I eat a healthy diet but, I'm a Southern man and fried foods are in my DNA. While I don't fry at home, from time to time I need to lubricate the genes of my Southern heritage with a deep fried non healthy dish.

Disclaimer #4: I am not related to any of the owners in the picks for Top 5 restaurants or the honorable mentions. And I have not been offered cash, food or other valuables for my recommendations. However I am not beyond accepting a meal, discount, or other gift if they feel so moved.

Now that we have covered the disclaimers can I get a drum roll?....

TOP FIVE:

#5 - Dickey's Hickory Pit, 1622 Stop 30 Rd: First of all Dickey's is officially a bar and not a restaurant, so you can take your gun to lunch. Dickey's should have a historical marker since it was one of only 2 bars that was grandfathered to serve beer when Hendersonville was orignially incorporated as a dry city. The Bar B Q is good, but they are best known for Hot Chicken on Friday at lunch only. Now hot chicken is a misnomer. It should be called spicy fried chicken since it is often served less than hot and is not really spicy hot like say Price's Chicken in Nashville.

#4 - Ruby's Kitchen, 75A New Shackle Island Rd: If you are from another region of the country you may not be familiar with the term meat and three restaurant. To explain, it's Southern comfort food that may have been served to your great granddaddy by his wife down on the farm at lunch time. Ruby's menu changes daily, but if you go there be sure to save room for dessert.

#3 - The China Wok, 247 West Main at Walton Ferry Rd: There are a few tables at the China Wok because it is primarily a take out restaurant. They have about 129 dishes that have been posted on the wall for many years. All dishes are prepared on the spot with the sauce of your choice. No food in thoughs here, just good food individually prepared.

# 2 - September's Cafe the Streets of Indian Lake: September's Cafe was started in a dismal strip center where it was transformed into a charming bistro by September Norman. She moved the business and it is now the jewel of The Streets of Indian Lake Center. September's is the best spot for elegant dining in Hendersonville. The creative dishes and excellent wine selection are crowd pleaser, but I usually cannot get past the dinner salad selections which are the best in the greater Nashville area.

# 1 - Cafe Rakka, 71 New Shackle Island Rd: Cafe Rakka is located in the previous location of September's Cafe, so you know it started off with some good karma. This family owned restaurant features great Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes based on old family recipes. The hummus bar with various toppings is a great start, and I have tried every main course and never been disappointed.

I appreciate the hard work and difficult uphill battle to start a successful independent restaurant. Here are a few runners up that definitely make the grade:
#1 - Steamboat Bills: Best fried catfish, oysters, shrimp and crawfish around.
#2 - Blue Goose: Great breakfast - try the Kitchen's Omelet and a good meat and 3 lunch.
#3 - Barefoot Charlies: Beach food served up in a great setting. Love the chicken nachos.
#4 - Cafe La Crumbs: Great chicken salad sandwiches and salads.
#5 - El Rodeo: Very good Tex Mex dishes.
#6 - Knead Dough Pizza: Hand tossed New York Style Pizza
#7 - Center Point and Whitts Bar B Q: We Southerners love our smoked pork and both serve good hickory smoked
Bar B Q.

BON APPETIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment